When I really reflect and observe my life and those that surround me, I notice a discernable pattern throughout it all. What I am about to suggest may sound overly simplistic but really rings true right now. What I see is those who are happy take the time to act in ways that nurture their soul. They take time out of their busy schedules to do things that evoke a sense of happiness and bring them joy. They do things that give them a feeling of purpose and passion. I think that it is also a fair observation that the people who don’t have these things in their life fall peril to a constant routine and end up bored with life. The worst part of it is so many people aren’t even aware just how bored with life they are. Instead they are stuck doing the same thing day in and day out, just kind of surviving. They may not be super unhappy, they just aren’t fired up about life in the way that they want to be. These people are sort of real life zombies!
Not sure if you are a real life zombie? Here are a few quick questions you can ask yourself:
- Do you feel excited to wake up?
- Do you feel like you are you constantly waiting, or looking ahead (to the weekend, summer, a holiday, a vacation etc.)?
- How much time do you spend on a daily basis doing things that simply fill time (social media, television, candy crush etc.)?
- Do you have an abundance of energy, or are you tired?
- What in your life excites you that isn’t connected to anyone else?
If while answering these questions you are getting the unsettling feeling this is you, not to worry – you aren’t alone. In fact, I know a ton of people who just haven’t found anything that fires them up yet– so to speak.
What exactly is a real life zombie?
Real life zombies are most easily characterized by their desire to fill time rather than enjoy their time. The good news is it is never too late to find passion, your purpose, or simply get excited about life.
10 Ways to Drop the Inner Zombie Get Fired up about Life
- Do something creative! A lot of people feel energized and purposeful when they act in ways that nurture their creative being. Check out this list of 100 Creative Ideas
- Donate your time to a cause, or program that you feel passionate about. Giving is ALWAYS a sure fire way to get excited about life. If you don’t connect 100 percent with anything in your community than perhaps it’s time to start your own initiative.
- Go cold turkey on anything that costs you time and doesn’t add value to your life. I get that for a lot of people this one is hard, but it’s amazing how much time slips away to activities that don’t positively contribute to your life. Check this out: if you spend 2 hours a day watching TV, or scrolling your newsfeed that adds up to 730 hours a year which is an ENTIRE MONTH a year!!!! Those numbers should rattle you. Be conscious and deliberate on how you spend your valuable time.
- Say YES to trying new things! I know, I know…we all know what we like and don’t like – right?! Well, yes but this shouldn’t preclude us from constantly trying new things. New food, new genres of literature, new activities, new places etc. Get out there and say YES the next time someone invites you to try something new. You may just love it!
- Surround yourself with a diverse crowd. Make friends with people who are totally different than you and offer a new life perspective. It is amazing how much learning can do to get you fired up about life.
- Mix up your routine and add some spontaneity! Is every Friday night movie night? How long has that been happening? Remember the math…2 hours a day is a month a year. Take your routine and look carefully at it. Ask yourself this, “am I excited by this?” If your answer is no, than perhaps it’s time to make a shift and shake it up!
- Think about what you absolutely dread. What aspects of your life do you loathe? Can you change that? Most likely yes! Lots of us get stuck believing the illusion that the excuses we create are real. But here is the truth: you CAN do whatever you want with your life. So get out there and go for it.
- Get out of the house. This is a tough one for some of you. Life is meant to be experienced – not through a series of photos, or articles, but actually lived. Our homes are wonderful sanctuaries but at the same time we can get too comfortable and end up feeling isolated. Make sure that you are getting out and experiencing something new consistently.
- Create more personal wealth. I know this one seems really out of place, but I also know this: more money = more options. Get excited about creating more income because at the end of the day when you have really limited resources, your options also are. Sometimes the experiences that we really want in life come at a price. Invest time in things that will contribute to you creating new and exciting experiences. Don’t settle. Stuck for ideas? CLICK HERE for a quick guide to making more cash
- Appreciate where you are, who you are and what you already have. Yes, be grateful for everything in your world at this moment – you will never be this age, with these people, with this frame of mind again. Take time to thank the universe for all your blessings and this may just be enough to shake you out of simply existing into really living and loving life!